Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Can't paint on entire landscape

6 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Topic starter

Hi!
I just imported a landscape with GIS data and although the imagery textures works well for the landscape in the distance, I need to do some custom painting with more tilable textures closer to the camera.

I have set up a couple of landscape material layers in the classic UE4 workflow and for some reason there are areas of the landscape that the brush simply can't access. When moving the brush over those areas, it's like the brush hits a wall. Unlucky for me, it happens in the exact area where I need to paint custom layers. It's like I can't paint on one specific component.

Has anyone else come across the same issue and know a fix?

Paul 13/04/2021 7:13 pm

Remi, are your landscape actor scales the same in x and y dimension?

3 Answers

Thanks, Remi.

We recently discovered that this is the likely cause. If you save a duplicate level and change the scales so they're the same X and Y, are you able to paint on all parts of the landscape?

We're working on a solution for this at the moment. The problem arises when the ratio between X and Y dimensions in your DTM doesn't match the ratio between the number of components X and Y in the landscape you create. The easiest solution is to have a square landscape, but we're looking at implementing a method that provides the option to crop the DTM data as it's imported to make sure the X and Y scales remain the same.

Paul 14/04/2021 8:39 am

As a workaround, you could export the masks from the landscape you've rescaled, then reimport them into the original landscape with the X and Y scales set by TerraForm.

Topic starter

Hi Paul!
The scales are not the same no.

X=69.684822,Y=62.876839

I haven't manipulated them myself, I guess Terraform set it up this way upon importing the landscape?

Topic starter

I'm not sure what you're referring to regarding masks, but setting the same x and y scale solved the issue I'm having 🙂
Thank you!

Paul 14/04/2021 9:53 am

Bear in mind that by changing the scale, your landscape is no longer the correct dimensions. To fix this, you can paint the changes on the landscape with the scales you’ve changed, then export the painted masks from the layers and reimport them to the landscape with the original scales

Share: